Rountree Consulting Client Login Rountree Consulting Tax Questions  



What do I need to bring to my appointment?

First Appointment:

  • Please bring a copy of last year’s returns,
  • Contact information such as current address, home, office and cell numbers, and email address,
  • Information on taxpayers and dependents including names (as they appear on Social Security card), Social Security numbers and birth dates.


  • Completed organizer (download blank organizer or call us for yours),
  • Documents supporting the information reported on the organizer.
  • List of questions or concerns.

How does E-filing work?

This year the IRS is changing their requirement for Form 8453 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Declaration for an IRS e-file Return).  A Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be assigned to you and printed on Form 8879.  You will still need to sign the form (for federal and state) and return it to us.  Envelopes will be provided for your convenience.

Can I pay you with my refund?

Yes, we are now able to deduct the invoice amount from the refund that you would be receiving if you set up a direct deposit for your refund.

We will need your bank name, routing number, account number of your checking or savings account.  The balance of your refund will be directed to your preferred account.

Do you take credit cards? Debit cards?

Yes, we take both.  We will need to know the credit institution (i.e. MC, Visa, AX, and Discover), the account number, the name on the card and the expiration date.

What do I do with this IRS or Franchise Tax Board (FTB) notice?

If you receive any correspondence from any taxing agency please fax it over to us at 949-366-3181 so that we may review it and determine the proper response.

We may need to get some additional information before calling or writing to the agency.

How much do you charge for a simple tax return?

The charge for a tax return is based on the complexity of the return.  Prices start at $250.

Do you offer bookkeeping services?

Yes, we have both in-house and contracted bookkeepers who can answer questions over the phone or visit you to answer questions or perform any necessary services.

How much do you charge for bookkeeping services?

Charges for bookkeeping services are decided upon by the bookkeeper and the client and depend on the type of service(s) and the frequency of service(s).

Generally, the charge is $50 an hour, however, flat rates can also be accommodated.

How much do you charge for a consultation?

Generally, there is no charge for consultations.  This is true whether you are a potential client or a long time client.

It is our intention to make life long friends, not one time clients, therefore, we are available to all our clients, big and small, for the many questions and concerns that can arise throughout the year regarding your taxes, your finances, your business, etc.

Do I have to make an appointment to get my taxes done?

No, as a matter of fact, many clients are just not able to get to our office during tax season.  You may mail in, fax in or email us your information for the preparation of your tax return.

How do I start an entity?

We can help you form an entity in any of the fifty states. The first step is determining the name of you business.  Please provide us with your top three choices for a name, so that we can verify that the name is available.

Once the entity name is determined we will need to know what type of entity you would like (i.e. partnership, C corporation, S corporation, Limited Liability Company) and who the owners will be.  For the owners we will need their names, Social Security numbers or FEINS, addresses, and percentage of interest.

We will provide you with a corporate kit that includes your Articles of Incorporation/Formation, your Federal ID number, your stock certificates and any other forms necessary to properly complete the incorporation.

What if I get audited?

Generally, the following occurs if you are going to be audited:

  • Receipt of letter indicating that an examination has been opened for specified tax years.  The letter will indicate whether it is a desk audit or field audit.
  • The auditor will indicate the items being reviewed, request supporting documentation, request contact information in order to contact you or your designated representative.
  • If you indicate that the auditor should contact us, they will call and/or write to us to request the supporting documentation.  We will coordinate with the auditor as to a meeting date, time and place to review the requested documents.
  • The auditor will review the information and indicate whether additional information is necessary or indicate what their recommendation will be.
  • Each side will have the opportunity to indicate their agreement or disagreement with the findings.
    If we disagree we can then decide on the best course of action to appeal the findings.

Will I have a higher chance of being audited if I file before April 15th?

No, there is no difference in the percentages of being audited based on the date of filing.  Audits are pursued based on audit models which are created by the IRS to locate questionable items or transactions.  All returns are subject to these models.

Will I be charged for Amendments to my 2010 Tax Return?

If an amendment is necessary, the amendment will be processed after April 28th, 2011. If an amendment is required as a result of incomplete or misguided information a charge will apply.

What are your office hours?

Office Hours - Starting on January 24th through April 1st our office hours for appointment and drop off will be Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm.

On April 15th the office will be open from 8 am to 1pm to pick up tax returns only.

April 16th through April 28th the office will be closed.

During the week of April 16th please email us with any questions or concerns as we will be able to check emails remotely.  If there are any problems with the e-filing of your tax return we will contact you during or after this week. 

Do you have a list of the Important Tax Dates for 2009?

Important Dates
January 3, 2011 Office opens
January 18, 2011 4th Quarter Estimated Payment Due
March 15, 2011 C Corporation and S Corporation returns, taxes and extensions due
April 1, 2011 Submit extension request or tax return information for filing
April 15, 2011 Individual, LLC and Partnership returns, taxes and extensions due
April 16-24, 2011 Office closed
April 25, 2011 Office hours for the rest of the year are M-TH 10AM – 3PM
September 15, 2011 C Corporation and S Corporation extended returns due
September 26, 2011 Submit tax return information for extended returns
October 17, 2011 Individual, LLC and Partnership extended returns due